A clinician who is EMDRIA Certified in EMDR is fully licensed in their mental health professional field for independent practice and has had a minimum of two years experience in that field.
They have completed an EMDRIA approved training program in EMDR therapy, have conducted a minimum of fifty clinical sessions in which EMDR was utilized, and have received twenty hours of consultation in EMDR by an Approved Consultant. To show continuing education for this credential, they must complete twelve hours of continuing education in EMDR every two years.
Please read the Certification Criteria below and the Certification FAQ before filling out the Certification Application. Please only submit an application ONE time and do not submit incomplete applications. All application materials, including Letters of Recommendation, must be submitted in English.
SEND SUBMISSIONS VIA SCAN, FAX OR MAIL TO:
EMDR International Association
5806 Mesa Drive, Suite 360
Austin, TX 78731-3785
If your Certification Application is approved, your EMDRIA Certification status will be granted for a two year period. To keep this credential, you will need to renew every two years. Click here to learn more about Certification Renewal.
If you are a Full Member of EMDRIA | $150.00 US Dollars
We suggest joining as a Full Member to take advantage of this discount among other membership benefits! JOIN NOW! Note: Associate Members cannot become EMDR Certified.
Non-EMDRIA Member | $350.00 US Dollars
- Non-Members do not appear in EMDRIA’s Find a Therapist directory.
- EMDRIA does not retroactively apply discounts on previously paid non-member fees if an individual should join EMDRIA at a later date.
The applicant for the credential of EMDRIA Certified Therapist must meet the following criteria:
1) EMDRIA Approved Training: Submit evidence of having completed an EMDRIA approved EMDR Training program. A copy of your certificate of completion is required.
2) License/Certification: Provide documentation of independent license as a mental health professional in the state or province where you practice. A photocopy of your license to practice independently is required.
3) Attach notarized documentation supporting the following statements:
- Do you have at least two years experience in your field of license?
- Have you conducted at least 50 EMDR sessions with at least 25 clients?
Both statements can be included on one single notarized document. Applicants can simply state, “I have at least 2 years experience in my field of license and I have conducted at least 50 EMDR therapy sessions with at least 25 clients” or similar wording and then have it notarized.
4) Have you received 20 hours of consultation by an EMDRIA Approved Consultant in EMDR? Answer yes or no on the application form. Then you will need to obtain documentation from the Approved Consultant(s) you received your consultation from, verifying the number of hours you have received from him/her and how many of those hours were individual consultation and how many were group consultation. If you have received consultation from more than one Approved Consultant, you will need documentation from each. At least 10 of these hours must be obtained through individual, EMDR-focused consultation. The remaining 10 hours may be obtained through small group consultation. Consultation groups cannot exceed more than 8 participants at a time. Consultants in Training can provide up to 15 hours of consultation; the remaining 5 hours must be with an Approved Consultant. *Only consultation hours received AFTER completion of an EMDRIA Approved Training program can be applied towards this requirement. Click Here to Find an Approved Consultant
5) Attach letter(s) of recommendation from one or more EMDRIA Approved Consultant(s) in EMDR, regarding your utilization of EMDR with clients.
6) Attach two letters of recommendation regarding your professional utilization of EMDR (if possible), ethics in practice, and professional character. These can be obtained from colleagues or peers.
7) Attach certificates of completion of 12 hours of EMDRIA Credits (continuing education in EMDR). The EMDR Training is not awarded EMDRIA Credits – only EMDRIA Approved Credit Programs in EMDR that are completed after the entire Training program can receive EMDRIA Credits and be used towards this application requirement. If you are in need of EMDRIA Credits, you can earn EMDRIA Credits through the EMDRIA OnDemand eLearning site. For more information and to access the EMDRIA OnDemand catalog of choices, click here. Additionally, you may click here to view the Calendar of Events.
8) EMDRIA Policies. Applicants must read and verify on the application form that they agree to adhere to EMDRIA Policies.